Gin & Tonic Blues

     Last night I went to a local bar here in Canton and ordered a Tom Collins. The bartender looked at me like I was a crazy person. This wasn't some hole in the wall joint either, it was a place where one should know these things. After looking at me like a deer in the headlights the bartender walked around asking the other employees of the place if they knew how to make one. One was smart enough to know they named the glass after the drink, but no one knew how to make one. So, I decided on a gin and tonic with lime. I got no lime.

     Think this a random occurrence? Hardly. The other night I was at a place that, well let's just say this Canton lounge should know how to make martinis, and I ordered a dry martini. Again I got a look of disgust. The bartender at this lounge where martinis are drank spent ten minutes asking me what kind of garnish I wanted, completely skipping the important questions. I stood there for another ten minutes before getting an extremely wet vodkatini on the rocks. I was outraged to say the least, but I kept my cool and informed him that I ordered a martini (gin) and that I wanted it straight up not with chips of sloppy ice in it. He then told me that that's what a martini was.

     What has happened with our society?
Bartenders know more and more about making "sex on the beaches" and "wet pussies" yet they know less and less on how to make classic drinks. I think its because people's taste in drinks have changed over time. It seems like people didn't try so hard to disguise the taste of what they were drinking in the past. Now, there are mixed drinks to where if they didn't tell you what was in it, you'd have no idea. I'm not going to lie, those drinks can be good, but I guess I'm old fashioned in the way I drink. If I don't like I certain type of spirit, instead of disguising it, I just don't drink it. Weird isn't it. Well I'm done writing for now. I'm going to the bar and I'm in the mood for an old fashioned. This should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it good for you?